Sunday, October 2, 2016

Sunday's Child {it happened on a sunday} Day 2

The first Sunday of significance in my life was the very first day.  Let there be light...and I entered the world on a Sunday afternoon.  According to the old poem, this set me to be "bonny and blithe and good and gay".  I think my mom was just glad to have the long labor over, but my dad was already planning to break a record and take me to Sunday evening church; at just over an hour old, I would surely be the youngest person to ever attend service in a Free Methodist church.

Since my parents had opted for a home birth, he was free to take me out of the house and drive down the road to our church.  Although my mom was undoubtedly resting and not likely part of the decision process, it seems that he chose instead to allow me rest as well, and stayed home to care for what had just become a family of four.

But this beginning, though I was unaware of any of it at the time, set me on my journey.  My parents' first thought after delivering me safely into the world was to take me to church, to introduce me to their friends, and their religion.  It's not surprising then, that God and church and people would continue to hold significance to me throughout my life.  Children see the world as it is framed by their parents, and mine held church at the center of it all.

Sunday fashion circa 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment