Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ask {it happened on a sunday} Day 16


Returning to church as an adult, I had a brand new experience.  A group met in the evenings, mostly recent college grads and young people beginning adult lives, and we talked.  The express purpose was to bring our questions, and find answers together.  It was the first time I felt like I was allowed to question and doubt and dig with people in a church building.  It helped me build a foundation for the beliefs I was just discovering.

Over time, this group became something more.  We watched each other get married, we held hands as one marriage ended, we played games and laughed together and got to know each other.  It was my first experience being in community with other Christians, not trying to put on a facade, but trying to get to something deeper.

It was scary for me.  I wanted friendships, but I was afraid to let people know me.  Sean and Julie, Jon and Kiersten, Justin, Kristen, Rachel, Ryan and Christina, and Greg welcomed me, accepted me, and pushed me forward.

As jobs changed and people moved around, the group surrounding me changed to include Josh and Jackie, Ashley, Doug, and Jen and Niels.  We had babies, helped each other move into our first houses, went on mission trips and reordered our lives to leave a trail of grace wherever we went.

I wish every relationship was for life.  I cherish the people I've known for decades and still consider friends.  But so often, we meet the people we need for a season, and life sends us in different directions once we've given what we can.  I'm thankful for all the people who spent time with me in my 20's, who loved me despite my awkwardness and the challenges I put up.
Some of my favorite people in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment