Sunday, February 8, 2015

Behind Every Strong Woman

My friend wrote a blog for my husband yesterday.  Not because she is lusting after him, but because she sees what he does for me and she wanted to affirm him in the way he likes most, words.  Because this past weekend, he sacrificed at home so that I could serve publicly.  He kept the children (not just ours, but a stranger's child too) and cleaned the house and had dinner waiting for me when I got home.  He sat and listened to my stories and kept the teasing to a minimum about this thing that gets me so excited.  What he did enabled me to do what I did.

I wanted to brag about my husband and tell all the single ladies to marry a man who will stay home with the children so you can lead...but then I realized that's not what I did.  We have been married for almost 10 years, and this life that we are currently in was nowhere near our radar when we first began.  I wasn't looking for a man to support me as I stepped up to the microphone.  I had no intention of gathering women and living out my calling.  I didn't have a goal or a launchpad or a dream.

No, ten years ago I chose to marry a man who loved me for who I was (although neither of us really "knew" each other the way we do now, so many years and life-changing experiences later), a man who made me laugh, a man who was committed to making our marriage work and last, no matter what the cost.  And let me tell you, neither of us knew how much it would cost.  We signed a blank check to make our marriage strong and sometimes it shocks me how steep the price can be. (Forgiveness folks.  It is expensive.)

And that is how we jumped.  Not knowing what was coming ahead.  Not partners in some grand plan, just partners in life.  I told him I wanted to live an adventure, and he said, "You got it.  Adventures in a Single Income Household!"  He wasn't kidding.  I did not know what he would stand by my side through, but I knew he would stand by my side.  My husband is a man who says, "I think you can do it.  I think you should do it."

So ladies...if you are already living your dream, if you have already stepped from scared to courageous, then find a man who will live that dream with you.  Find a man who will handle all the "little" things at home so you can do "big" things in public.  But if you are single and like me, unsure what this life holds for you, then find a man like Chris at 22.  Find someone who thinks you are AMAZING...just the way you are.  Find a man who will love you so passionately that your passion becomes his passion.  Find a man who makes you laugh, because the dark days will come, and looks will fade and money will come and go, but laughter will always be there and it will carry you through.  Find a man who never tires of holding your hand.  Find a man who never tires of cheering you on, no matter how much doubt and fear fill you.

And single guys...my guess is that you're single because you're not that guy.  You're not brave enough to leave selfishness in the dust and leap into the great unknown with a hot lady.  You're not secure enough to praise her without first receiving praise.  You're not silly enough to make jokes when the car is broken down and the kid is sick and the 12th rejection letter arrived.  You aren't humble enough to be at home while she moves mountains.  But here is the good news: You can change.  You can grow up.  You can be the kind of man who helps a strong woman stand.  You can be the only one she wants to come home to.  You can be the strong arms that hold her through the storms and you can be the faithful one when all else seems to disappear.

For Chris, who is my shield and my heart, my supporter and my husband.  Thank you for being my partner through all that has passed and all that is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment