Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Teen Mom

I wanted to stay up last night to watch the after-show for "Teen Mom" on MTV.com, but 3 nights of insomnia caught up with me and demanded that I go to bed at the uncharacteristically early 11 pm. "Teen Mom" is without a doubt one of my favorite shows; its the follow up to MTV's new series "16 & Pregnant", chronicling the lives of 4 of "16"s original 6 teenage mothers. As I watch "Teen Mom" or read Tori Spelling's autobiography Mommywood, I am struck by how universal motherhood can be, while also dividing women along the lines of age, economic status, and education level. For instance, Amber and Maci on "Teen Mom" juggle the lives with giving their children proper care, and constantly wish that their partners would contribute more as parents. Even though my husband is an amazing dad who tries to find that same balance in his life, I find it hard to accept that he's probably doing all he can, because I wish he could do more. I think this comes from a desire for me to be able to do less, but would probably still do as much as I do now even if my husband managed to find some way to pitch in even more. However, what I take away from "Teen Mom", and I'm sure the producers hope that many young girls do as well, is how the "traditional" path to parenthood could also be described as the correct and smart way. By that, I mean graduating from high school, completing college or some form of advanced vocational training, so that you can then work, earn and hopefully save money, while meeting, dating, and marrying a man who shares your values and respects you, settling into a home of your own, and then starting a family. I struggle daily with all the difficulties of parenting two young children and maintaining a home and marriage; I can't even imagine having to do all that I do while studying for school, worrying about where I'm going to live, and making a relationship work with a man who can't commit to forming a stable family with me. Why the young women on "Teen Mom", and so many others who share their fate, make me feel sad is how quickly they want to grow up and be independent of their own homes and parents, while failing to realize just how difficult that can be. Motherhood has certainly dampened the judgemental view I used to take of the world, so I watch this show wishing the best for Amber, Maci, Farrah, and Catelynn, knowing how hard their decisions have made things, but also knowing that a child is the strongest encouragement to making a better life for yourself. Keep going ladies, you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment