Monday, January 26, 2015

On Memory and Mystery

I was looking through photos on my mom's flash drive the other night. (The full story is that she loaned me the flash drive months ago to print some pictures for Christmas presents, and I promptly lost it, was unable to give the presents at the appropriate time, and my husband just found it the other night while digging through the couch cushions for the TV remote that we lose every other day.  There.)  This is what she takes pictures of: her grandchildren, flowers people send her, scenic views from trips she takes, and her grandchildren.  I was delighted at the photos of my boys spanning several years.  Sometimes I forget in the hustle of our days and the thinning, almost-pre-adolescent faces that they were each babies.  I forget about their wispy blonde hair and chubby cheeks, the stumpy legs and tiny clothes.


New baby, New Daddy March 2007

Matching jammies, Christmas Eve 2010

Elmo's World!


I paused at the pictures of James, the preschool years.  Part of me "aww"-ing over his cute baby face, but part of me remembering.  I was the person who knew this child best, after spending each day with him, but even to me, he was a mystery.  I spent so much time deciphering gestures and hoots and squeals.  I watched him so closely after the doctor gave him the autism diagnosis, searching for any clue that he'd been wrong, and equally wondering if maybe he was right.  Were James' needs met?  I think so.  But I couldn't be sure; even now I'm not certain if I chose well or completely missed the mark. (Maybe he'll tell me one day.  Kiddo, I'm listening, I promise.)

"James is flying!"

My balloon boys, Fall 2010


Dressed as his second favorite food while collecting his third favorite food
Halloween 2013

I know he liked to be outside.  This was evident even when he was a month old.  Something about stepping through the door from the closed-in, warm house into the chilly spring night air calmed him.  I know he liked to watch Elmo.  From the first time I popped an Elmo's World DVD into the player and that high-pitched fur ball began to speak, my son was riveted.  He quickly figured out the symbols on the machine for play, open, skip.  I regretted exposing him to it when I lost the ability to watch my own shows and movies during the day (a right I am just now regaining...everyone has to be quiet and go play somewhere else so Mommy can watch Downton Abbey!).  James was also a fan of simple $1 pleasures.  A small fry from McDonald's...and OH BOY if we didn't stop at any of the four we passed on the way to speech therapy, I heard about it from the backseat.  Not in words (hence the speech therapy), but his point was clear.  A red balloon from the grocery store...how our trips were transformed from short-term family torture to quick and *almost* easy when we tied that balloon to the front of the cart and plunked him down in the seat.  He would stare up at it, pull on the ribbon, watch it float back up.  I can't even remember when we stopped doing that, when he no longer asked for it by halting and gazing longingly behind the floral counter.

I have heard grumblings in the autism community against the use of the puzzle piece to represent the disorder.  I think one of the points is that a puzzle represents children, who only make up a small percentage of people living with autism (clearly people who haven't done a 1000 piece puzzle like the one I helped my parents complete in December).  But mostly I think it's that the metaphor doesn't hold up.  See, when I do a puzzle, I start out with all the pieces, and the goal is to fit them all together correctly.  When that is accomplished, I have a finished puzzle.  I can see the image clearly, and I'm done.  I used to look at James like a puzzle to be solved.  I was flipping them over, searching for edge pieces, grouping the greens and the purples and the reds and the whites.  I rearranged the pieces and changed my seat and sat back with a cup of tea, desperately hoping that a change in perspective would make a difference.  Lately, Autism Speaks has tried to promote this idea that something is "missing" in autistic people, autism research, the elusive autism answer.  If my son was a puzzle, then that would seem likely.  If my son was something to be figured out, if he would someday be a clear and complete picture, then I would agree that some of the pieces must have fallen on the floor or been eaten by the dog.
My boys: Mikey trying to be like his brothers even though his balance is not as good as theirs,
Winston sitting in the middle not needing his parents' touch
James taking refuge in my arms from the heat and the photo session

But I tend to side with the autistics.  I no longer see my son as a puzzle, nor is it my job to solve him. Instead, as I look back through these photos, I think of a mystery.  Isn't every person a certain amount of mystery to those around them?  What secret memories do they hide?  What unfathomable depths form their soul?  What are they thinking when they tap their chin, look out the window, at this very moment?  The best part of any relationship is unraveling the mystery.  And that's what I am doing with my son.  The little boy in those photos has a terribly choppy buzz cut, because he shrieked so loudly and protested so vehemently every time we took him to a hair salon and the lady approached with scissors, that I started cutting it myself.  It would take a long time, sometimes even an hour, but if I perched him on the bathroom sink and let him splash naked in the water, he would hold his head still-ish for me to buzz off the overgrowth of hair.  It wasn't always easy for me, but it was the only solution I could find.  I don't cut his hair anymore.  Now we look through "Going Places" on the iPad and talk about what is going to happen and then we walk into the hair salon and he sits in the chair and plays some version of Angry Birds and holds relatively still for about 10 minutes while the lady quickly cuts and trims.  And after 10 minutes he begins to squirm and slide and removes his cape and tells me "All done Mom" and I tell the lady "Good work, we are finished" whether she thinks she is done or not and we pay and leave.  Oh, and he gets a sucker.  I fully expect that in another five years, hair cuts will look different from now, just as now they look different from five years ago.  Because unlike a puzzle, a mystery has the ability to change.  A mystery is a fluid, ethereal secret.  A mystery has no end date, no final picture, no completion.  As soon as one question is answered, a dozen more need to be asked.  Sometimes we have to just accept that we can't know everything.  But I understand that there is no easy, pleasant bumper sticker picture to accompany calling our loved ones a "mystery".  Maybe a door?  Or an image from the Hubble telescope of space (I know James would like that one)?
red-door.jpg

2 comments:

  1. " Because unlike a puzzle, a mystery has the ability to change. A mystery is a fluid, ethereal secret. A mystery has no end date, no final picture, no completion. As soon as one question is answered, a dozen more need to be asked. Sometimes we have to just accept that we can't know everything. But I understand that there is no easy, pleasant bumper sticker picture to accompany calling our loved ones a "mystery". Maybe a door? Or an image from the Hubble telescope of space (I know James would like that one)?" THIS. I love this. I feel like I thought so many mysteries would be SOLVED as my children grew, as they learned to speak and I would KNOW them because they could communicate. But........well, it seems there is so much more to them than what they say. There is so much hidden and unknowable still. This was so good. Thanks, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so precious. Kind of like opening a time capsule. Thanks for sharing the pictures and your thoughts at DifferentDream.com's Tuesday special needs link up.

    ReplyDelete