Friday, November 28, 2014

On Thanksgiving and Giving Thanks

It was Thanksgiving yesterday.  The day we welcomed our families into our home.  The day we turned the kitchen into a room where adults could eat and talk and laugh and give thanks.  Not the room where peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are made, where pictures are drawn, where board games are played, where junk mail piles up week after week.  We did some actual work to transform this room, but mostly it was smoke and mirrors.  It was "Nobody go upstairs."  It was a time to pretend it always looks that clean.  We said our thanks.  For the support of friends.  For employment. For a year of sobriety.  For family.  For health.

This year, I feel thankful for so much in my life.  For the marriage that is about to celebrate its 10th year.  For the children who continue to grow and change and occasionally offer hugs and kindness.  For the house that keeps us warm and together.  For the friends who actually support me and encourage me.  For the new pastor at our church.  But mostly I'm thankful for all that has changed since last Thanksgiving.

Last year at this time we were a family of six.  Two of our members had spent a total of 7 days in the hospital.  Our cupboard had filled up literally overnight with several new prescriptions that we were still learning how to administer.  When the preschool teacher asked our son what he was thankful for, he burst into tears.  Life had been reduced to figuring out how to get through each day.  There was nothing beyond today, no long-term projects, no plans for the future.  This was especially hard for me, as I am a planner.  I like to look ahead, to be working toward some larger goal.  But I was overwhelmed by each day's needs, only able to think about how to keep each child alive until bedtime.  And even then, I lurked outside doors, I listened to the little breaths, I wondered if they were coming too fast or too slow or too shallow or too raspy.

Life became very narrow.  There wasn't time to discuss, to argue, to talk things through.  And so we put it off.  There wasn't time to fix, to replace, to repair.  And so we put it off.  There wasn't time to rest, to recuperate, to be restored.  And so we put it off.  There was barely time to eat and bathe and wash and read and brush and hold and drop off and pick up.

This is not to complain.  It was what we signed up for, it was what we were promised in those foster parent meetings and trainings.  This is just to explain that it was hard.  That it took everything we had.  It wasn't all bad.  There were many moments of love and understanding and so much growth, the kind that comes from months of difficulty.  I was reminded of the importance of scheduled rest, of intentional nights off, of friends who will step in to carry the load.  I learned that my frequent response to stress was (is?) to withdraw, to hide out with a bar of chocolate and a good book (or a trashy show on Netflix).  And I took steps to make life more sustainable and less draining.

When the call came that our little Girl was leaving, I spent days in tears.  In the busyness I hadn't realized just how attached I had become, just how much I loved this little one who required so much from me.  And after months of feeling as though I had shouldered the burden of our family, of needing to be strong and to keep going so that we didn't all just fall apart, I found myself done, exhausted, unable to maintain the exterior calm.  She left; I cried.  I fell asleep on the couch, in the boys' room, in a lawn chair.  I searched for the energy to cook, to clean, to do anything really, but my reserves were spent.  At the point when I had to say, "I just can't...", my husband stepped in.  He let me sleep.  He made meals.  He rounded up the kids and took them to the park.

This is how life has gone since then.  First, we had to rest.  Like literally sleep.  We had to say No to some things we really wanted to be part of.  I read a huge stack of books.  We had conversations with our kids about why the Girl was no longer living with us.  Next, we had to relearn how to be a family of five.  We couldn't go back to who we were before; we had to learn who we had all become.  We had to stop buying so much food.  And finally, it was time to catch up.  It was time to address all that had been put off.  We had to reconnect in our marriage, we had to reconnect with our kids.  We had to prioritize those home repairs.  We had to clean out those boxes, that room, that closet.

As the holidays approached, I began to feel once again like an equilibrium had been restored.  The kids are doing well in their new schools and new grades.  They are tackling new responsibilities and developing new interests.  I feel like I am once again able to be the giver in my relationships, able to connect with my friends and my husband instead of beginning every conversation with all that is hard in my life.  We finally fixed that drawer, that leak.  Maybe we will even be able to say that we are preparing for what's next instead of catching up with what was left undone.  I'm still reading a few new books each month.  And my days became rapidly easier as school began just a few weeks after the Girl left, and I am left with one child at home.  It felt selfish at first, all this time for myself after doing so much for everyone else.  But rest assured, I enjoy it now.  I am renewed in the afternoon quiet.

Some families stay open immediately after a placement leaves.  Some parents are ready to jump right back on that horse.  As Amy Poehler says, "Good for you, not for me."  We have needed these months of restoration.  We are once again strong, we are once again comfortable.  Perhaps we are now ready for a new challenge.

We are blessed with an abundance for which we give thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful reflection of some difficult things. We are not fostering (though we hope to some day), but life right now feels exhausting at my house - good with a mixture of sad and stress and no answers and tiredness. Your words remind me that this is just a season, and for that I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete