Friday, October 3, 2014

Five Minute Friday: NEW

A comfy, well-worn shoe

Well that's a scary word.  NEW?  I am someone who likes old.  I like worn-in.  No change.  New makes me think of tight shoes on the first day of school.

Or, speaking of the first day of school, how about who will I sit by?  Who is in my class?  Will I be able to get from my locker to class on time?  Who are my teachers?  Will they like me?  Will I understand what they are teaching?

Or new jobs.  How do I do this?  How will I know if I'm doing it right, or getting it all horribly, horribly wrong?  What are the guidelines?

New is like uncharted territory.  New is taking a machete to a jungle wall of trees and vines and making a path.  New is unknown obstacles and never-before-faced foes.

New is uncomfortable.  New is saying NO to how it's always been done.  New is potentially life-changing.  But it's scary.  How do we ever come up with the courage to try new?  Is it like that saying, we only try something new when it becomes unbearable to remain the same?  Who's with me?

My brave son on the first day of school (in his new shoes!)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! am a creature of habit myself, and I can become very comfortable in my routines. (Maybe too comfortable?) Thank you from sharing from your heart about the topic of new. I hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your post - I wrote from the very opposite perspective of "new" as hopeful and excitement-filled, yet I still relate to what you wrote about the trepidation associated with "new" too. I still inwardly brace myself when visiting a new church or entering a new group of friends/gatherings. Loved this phrase especially: "How do we ever come up with the courage to try new? Is it like that saying, we only try something new when it becomes unbearable to remain the same?"

    ReplyDelete