Thursday, July 24, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Finish


How funny that this word would pop up on a week when I can actually join in with FMF, because at the start of the year, this is the word I chose to pursue. 

FINISH.

Because I'm good at quitting.  I've done that my whole life.  This is too hard.  This is confusing.  This is potentially great, which is even scarier than hard or confusing.  So I quit.

FINISH.

Because sometimes I talk myself out of even starting.  Sometimes the excuses drown out all the reasons why I should, and so I sit out, on the sidelines, and I miss it.  Whatever the "it" is, the social gathering, the new beginning, the commitment.

FINISH.

Lisa Jo Baker is right, finishing is the hardest part.  Following through on what you said you would do, remaining faithful to something that doesn't seem to be gaining any traction, ending things at the right time and in the right way.

FINISH.

I'm 32 this year, and a mother and wife, and it just seems sad to list quitter and avoider as personality traits.  It's time to stretch and be someone who can be counted on.  It's time to do the showing up, especially when it's hard.  It's time to stay engaged with my family, with my friends, with my passions.  It's time to live the life that has been beckoning me all these years.


6 comments:

  1. i'm really resonating with your thoughts here, Rachel ... and with you I'm saying 'enough already with the excuses.'

    He's got plans for us, doesn't He ...

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm a fellow writer. You know, I felt much like you when I was a young mother. I had so many great ideas but no follow through. I think I had desires just like you, to step up and do it. Things changed for me because I kept trying. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have the courage to begin and the perseverance to finish well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is time to live the life that is beckoning ... I love that line. And it is, it is time. Thank you, I enjoyed your post.
    Blessings to you.
    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. good girl, the words God showed me today to get things done are diligence and discipline. Takes both to finish well, or even to live, to be healthy takes both, to be wise takes time to meditate on and read God's Word, to have a routine and keep a clean home takes both. I think I should write something for my blog instead of raving on over here! :) Five Minute Friday Friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think we can all identify with not finishing. we start too many things. its important to finish that which really matters and sometimes that does mean to quit on insignificant things

    ReplyDelete