Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent 1: Ash Wednesday

Let me tell you a little secret...I don't like Lent.  Just because I love Jesus doesn't mean I love everything about following Him.  I don't like that the Bible can be unclear and vague, and that we spend our time arguing about what it could possibly mean instead of accepting that life has mysteries.  I don't like this practice of intentionally depressing ourselves, of fasting for six weeks before Easter.  I don't like fasting at all.  In the words of my three year old foster daughter, "I want somethin' that I want."  But it works, this Lenten season.  Because giving up Dr. Pepper or ice cream for six weeks is hard enough.  What if I actually gave up speaking harshly to my loved ones or gossiping about that lady I don't really like who has the bra-strap-fat-roll?  Jesus says in Matthew 25:40 "When you did it to the least of these, my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!"  And usually we talk about this verse as we pat ourselves on the back, I fed the hungry, I took care of the sick, but what if we flip it around?  When I judged that woman with all the different colored kids or turned my back on a hurting friend, I did it to Jesus too.  It has brought me to tears on Good Friday, wondering how we could have done that to Him, how we all collectively could have hung that man on the cross and hammered in his nails daily, hourly.  And then I remember on Easter morning why it was necessary, why He came and why He died...to be the blood sacrifice to fulfill the law.  So that I wouldn't have to face the consequences of my misdeeds.

And so we begin with Ash Wednesday and the word REPENT.  Turn away from the sin that entangles you.  Come to the foot of the cross, not as part of the mocking crowd, but "turning to the Lord God, pleading in earnest prayer, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes." (Daniel 9:3)  Confess to one another, because once we bring light into the dark places of our lives and our hearts, the darkness no longer has power over us.  And we can all agree that this world needs more light.  That whatever can bring peace and truth and love is something to praise, something to follow, something to humble ourselves before.  I know what I'm "doing for Lent" this year.

"Let us pray.
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have
made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and
make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily
lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission
and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives
and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and 
ever.  Amen."
From the Book of Common Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment