Friday, June 14, 2013

The second son

Just a few weeks old

Last year, I sat at the computer, trying very hard to write a loving blog post about my Winston.  I didn't expect it to be such work, such a challenge, to put together all the good stuff and leave off the bad.  I kept dismissing "He's a terror at bedtime" and "He unspools all the toilet paper when I'm not watching", thinking there had to be something enjoyable about him to share with the world.  And really, what does it say that I found it easier to think of all the things I love about my autistic son, by definition the one who should be difficult, and came up blank for his typical brother?

I'm glad to say this year is different.  I couldn't wait to sit down and put Winston together here.  Part of it is probably the difference between a boy turning 3 and a boy turning 4; there is much more participation and creativity than defiance and destruction.  But I've also given him more attention this year.  I've scheduled out the day so that he gets one-on-one parent time almost every day, and tried to make sure we do the things he likes at least as much as we do what everyone else likes.  I've purposefully scaled back the yelling.  I wish I could say I don't do it at all, but sometimes the evil mommy that lives inside me roars out and still makes tears rolls down those smooth white cheeks.  The good mommy punches her and forces her back into her cell, then scoops up 36 pounds of future man and makes the calming "shhh" noises he likes and wipes the tears.
1 year old summer 2010

A few weeks ago, we were getting ready for bed and Winston asked that I come lay down with him for awhile.  I said ok, although usually it makes him more hyper and he only really starts to settle down for sleep when I leave the room.  But I climbed in his bed and started straightening out the covers.  "This needs to be a bed, not a nest," I said in frustration.  "We are two little birds," came Winston's response.  I cracked up.  Where did that come from?  That wonderful, silly sense of humor?  Why did it take almost four years to notice it was there?

The past several months have given us the opportunity to play games together, starting with Candy Land, which my infinitely more patient husband taught Winston to play.  Then, with basic game-play established, I came in with Chutes and Ladders.  We branched out to Connect four and UNO.  For his birthday, we purchased Hungry Hungry Hippos.  I have to admit, I've been looking forward to this since I became a mom.  Family movie night.  Family game night.  Popcorn.  Candy.  Laughter.  Bonding.  Winning and Losing.  Enjoying my children.
Choking his brother to get some Sprite

Winston also loves racing.  He runs around our yard, challenging each of us to race.  I can only do two before I need a break.  Michael ambles along, outpaced in the first two steps, but determined to follow.  When we met up with friends and had 9 kids playing together, Winston asked that we establish a course, and could the others race him?  So we convinced 6 of them to make a lap around the yard, and the "big" boys (ages 5 and 6) were delighted to come in first and second place.  Winston pounded up behind them, followed by the less agile, shorter-legged competitors.  There was joy on every face as the crossed the finish line (aka, gave me a high five and jumped over a log).  Because of Winston.  I love his initiative.  I love his desire to play with others.

I also love his excitement to eat vegetables.  I have no idea where it came from.  When he sees lettuce, he happily grabs the "trees" and chows down.  It makes me look good, like I'm a mom who serves her children veggies, who maybe even inspired this behavior by eating so healthily while pregnant.  That is so not the case.  If Winston loved to eat bowls of mashed potatoes and Big Macs, then I would say, "Oh, yeah, probably because I ate so many while I was pregnant."  But lettuce?  Carrots?  I have no idea why he likes them.  His brothers certainly don't.  His father grimaces whenever forced to eat them.  His mother smiles and pretends to like the healthy stuff while secretly imagining she is biting into a molten chocolate cake.  If it weren't for Winston, we wouldn't even have that kind of food in the house.  So thank you son, for making us look good and elevating the contents of our fridge a little.
Walking for Autism September 2012

For all the ways he delights and challenges us, for the love he shows his brothers and the unique person he is, for the mind that is as quick as his feet.  For my second son, a huge section of my heart is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment