Friday, May 24, 2013

Teaching

Its the end of another school year, which means it is time to evaluate, gather information, make important decisions that will affect the years to come.  This year has been so wonderful, my son has made so much progress, but will a different classroom make next year just as wonderful?  Will a new teacher, a new school, completely throw him off and send him into a tailspin of behavior?  Will he lose out on that last available spot?

I went to school like most kids...when I turned 5, my parents signed me up for kindergarten.  The next year I went to first grade, then second, and so on until I graduated high school.  When I became a mother, I figured I would do the same as my own parents had done, and didn't give the school question much thought in the hazy days of breast-feeding and diaper changes.  And then the bottom fell out and my son was diagnosed.  I didn't even know what options there were.  I searched my mind, trying to remember where those special kids were during my own education.  What did they learn?  What were their test scores?  I was always so concerned about who was ahead of me, whose grades were better, who was going to be class valedictorian.  I never thought about who was behind me.

Now I think about it every day.  I'm raising one of those kids who is "behind".  And I am endlessly grateful for the teachers who take the extra time and care that is needed to educate him, and those like him.  The ones who take pride in a student who started the year non-verbal, and is now participating.  The ones who know when to push, and how far to push.  The ones who see the accomplishment in just standing through an entire kindergarten concert.  The ones who are constantly learning and adapting, trying to find the best way to reach every single kid.

Psalms 126 says, "Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy."  I think it means that anything worth doing will be difficult.  There have certainly been many tears throughout the past few years, mothering these small children, figuring out who they are and being astounded at what they are capable of.  Things got pretty biblical during potty training, as I gnashed my teeth and tore my clothes and lay on the bathroom floor in misery.  But my sons use the toilet now, they flush and (sometimes) wipe and wash their hands.  I have faced off with James about writing his letters (and I'm sure his OT has similar battle scars), but now he can do it.  And the craziest thing is, I have no indication of when to push.  When the time is right to start something new.  Just a Mommy-sense that he's ready, and then we go for it.  I used to be afraid of that, scared that I was imposing my own timeline on him.  And that's definitely part of the struggle, not to compare him to others.  But he doesn't belong shoved in a corner, playing with blocks.  He's ready to go forward, ready to read and add and before we know it, conquer quantum physics.(I'm going to have to find someone else to push him there, though, this Mom doesn't understand anything past 8th grade science class)

I didn't expect to have to work so hard so that my son could learn.  I expected to just jump on the parent auto-ramp and cruise through high school.  But I'm holding on to the promise of harvesting with a shout of joy, knowing that all the tears will be worth it someday.

2 comments:

  1. "I didn't expect to have to work so hard so that my son could learn."

    I did six years in public ed before staying home w/ my boys. My last two years were in a class-within-a-class at risk room. It is a whole different thing being a mommy to a child with special needs than a teacher. I didn't expect so much of what we have experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I love that verse from Psalm 126. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete