Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An Anniversary

Its almost Palm Sunday, which means its about a year since Family Village started.  A year since the chilly morning we gathered at Joe and Mandy's house and Ryan played a donkey for his son and paraded around the living room on all fours.  A year since the moms gathered in a corner of the kitchen sipping coffee and talking about the typical mom get-to-know-you stuff...births, morning sickness, children.  A year that has been full of encouragement, of asking "What next?", of intentional time being spouses and parents.  A year that has gotten me out of the house, actually interacting with other adults on a pretty regular basis.  A year that has been marked by the fact that I have someone to call or email when I'm stressed or disheartened or worried.   A year in which I've found time to listen to the Father's voice, to get closer to His heart, to see with His eyes.

Chris and I took a weekend away about 19 months ago, right before we got our foster license.  We wanted some time to relax and connect before the county threw us a curveball.  We hadn't had a meaningful conversation in...I don't know how long.  The daily stress of the boys and trying to get everything done, keeping a house, managing special needs, paying the bills...it had gotten in the way.  When we returned, we were given Michael, who was small, addicted, needed constant attention and support.  I don't remember too much about those first months, except spraining my ankle and throwing physical therapy into the mix, as well as losing our second car.  With spring came a new friend, someone who was willing to be a little pushy at my hesitation, and our year of connection began.  A year of mornings playing in the yard, of bunny hunts and Seeds worship, of grilled cheese sandwiches and coffee.  A year of shared recipes and shared testimonies, of boxes and circles.  A year of growth and change and the saddest funeral ever.  A year of meetings at Starbucks and Menchies, of playing at the ECRC and the park.  A year of conversations and love and giving.

Joe and Mandy are just awesome.  There is no better word to describe them.  They could just come to church every other week and parade their adorable kids around, enjoy the music and the message and then leave.  But instead, they chose to share themselves with us, to teach and demonstrate and instruct other families, to set aside time to give away.  In doing so, they've shown me how to love better, manage my time and money (a work in progress!) to have some extra of each, and be more confident (an even more difficult work, with not such great progress).  I've felt pushed to be a better wife, to be a more consistent parent, to open myself up to being a friend, to be still and sit in the presence of the Lord.  I have loved it, even when I have hated the changes, and I have met some amazing people that would have remained strangers.  I can't wait to see what the next year holds for us all, what new truths we will embrace and the relationships that will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment