Monday, July 30, 2012

A Good Day

When I was in school, summer was by far the best time of year.  It meant sleeping in, trips to the pool, the zoo, the farm, riding bikes with my friends and sleepovers any day of the week.  It was a 3 month low-structure high-pleasure break from the long days of learning and awkward social interaction that comprise public school education in America.  Once I snatched my diploma and went about the business of becoming a grown-up, I took a step back and realized that, when the whole year is free from teachers and bullies and principals and homework, there might be some merits to the other seasons as well.  There is spring, with its new life, moderate temperatures, and freedom from mosquitoes.  Fall has its wonderful sights and smells and bountiful apple orchards.  Winter...well, that's when we celebrate Christmas.  And then become housebound by too much snow and ice and cold.  I still resent winter. 

This summer has been hard for our family.  Its been hot and our entire state is experiencing a drought, which puts a damper on one of my new favorite summer activities: gardening.  The kids get grumpy when the temps rise, and unfortunately, so do their parents.  After five years of living in a house without air conditioning, this summer has convinced me of its necessity.  Add to that the loss of my great-aunt and several friends who have also buried loved ones, finances that are stretched too far, and a family of mice that moved in and ATE MY CANDY!  It seems like we've had too many consecutive bad days, and I want to compile a list of what makes a day good.

1. Sunshine.  Regardless of the season, I need to see the sun.  Something about feeling it on my skin, seeing it shine through the windows, the excellent lighting it provides for taking photos of the kids...If I lived in pre-Christian times, I might have very easily worshipped the sun.  Today was ideal summer weather: a beautiful blue sky with puffy white clouds, the golden sun shining down upon us, and low humidity to keep my hair from a frizz explosion.

2. Connection.  I spend all day, every day with my wonderful children.  What makes a day stand out as a good one is when I feel connected to the boys.  When I speak and they look at me, respond, follow.  When they come to me asking for help, kisses and hugs, more Puppies Numbers.  When we agree on how to spend our time together and everyone is at peace.  We had more connection than not today, and I got to hold the baby as he drifted off to sleep.

3. My husband.  I see this incredible man every day, and he has the ability to make even the worst most catastrophic day better with his humor, his wisdom, and his hugs.  If I could figure out how to support a family of five and still be with him all day, I would do it.  As it is, angels sing the Halleluiah chorus when he walks in the door.  Today he impressed me by playing with our kids and bravely facing a mouse with a dictionary in hand.

4. Food.  MMMmmm...right now I'm thinking about that first bite of a Chipotle burrito bowl.  Or pepperoni pizza.  Or a Pink Lady apple.  Or cookies.  When my day consists of Ramen noodles or peanut butter sandwiches because every tasty thing in the house has been consumed by these always growing boys (even snatching it off my plate, the little thieves), I am fed but not satisfied.  Good days will always be dependent on good food.  Today my mother-in-law invited us over for steaks, corn on the cob, fruit salad, and cupcakes.  Amazing.

5. Beauty.  I'm sure that every day I see something beautiful, but sometimes I fail to stop and wonder.  Seeing a gorgeous sunset, my sons playing together, a nice three or four digit balance on an ATM receipt, a baby crawling or walking for the first time, Monet's waterlilies, a garden...this makes me appreciate my life and my God for providing a moment of awe.  Today's was undeniably when James and Winston were sitting on my lap, and James wrapped an arm around each of us and pulled us in for a three-way hug.

Here's to more good days, and the arrival of fall and its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment